Our mission is to empower confident health care decisions. Learn more about how Medicare is responding to COVID-19, including guidance on protecting yourself, reducing the risk of spreading the virus, and accessing care.
June 28 is National Insurance Awareness Day and an excellent time to review your coverage. As your trusted Medicare advisor, we’re here to ensure you understand your options and help you make the right choices. Below are some common Medicare questions to give you the information you need no matter where you are on your Medicare journey.
When can I sign up?
If you’re just entering Medicare, the best time to enroll is during your seven-month Initial Enrollment Period (IEP), which starts three months prior to your 65th birthday, includes your birth month, and ends three months after.
Those who are looking to make a switch can sign up during the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP), which runs from October 15 – December 7.
Do I need Medicare Part A and Part B?
Yes. In order to sign up for Medicare Supplement Insurance, you must first enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B. You can do this through your Social Security office during your Initial Enrollment Period.
Penalty note: In most cases, if you do not sign up for Medicare Part B during your IEP, you will pay a late enrollment penalty and could have a gap in your health coverage.
Does Medicare cover all my expenses?
Medicare parts A and B will cover 80% of your medical and health expenses. A Medicare Supplement plan helps cover the remaining 20%.
When should I sign up for a Prescription Drug Plan?
You can sign up for a Part D plan, which covers prescription drugs, during your IEP.
If, for any continuous period of 63 days or more after your Initial Enrollment Period is over, you go WITHOUT one of the below, a late enrollment penalty will be added to your Medicare Part D monthly premium.
- A Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, Medicare Advantage Plan
- Another Medicare health plan that offers Medicare prescription drug coverage,
- A creditable prescription drug coverage
I signed up for Medicare a supplemental plan last year and am still happy with it. Do I need to re-enroll this year?
Your Medicare Supplement plan automatically renews at the end of each year. If you are happy with your plan no further action is required from you.
Why should I sign up with United Medicare Advisors?
Instead of spending time on the phone with several different carriers for quotes, your personal Advisor will compare rates from 20 top-rated Medicare insurance carriers to not only help you find a great rate, but the right plan to fit your needs and lifestyle.
We’re licensed in 45 states and have helped with more than 600,000 policies. Plus, on average, our clients save $582 each year on their premiums by comparing rates with us.
Please note: we do not charge for our services. This allows our agents to help you comparison shop carriers without any sort of bias!
I think I’m ready to enroll, how do I sign up?
Our licensed agents are available to walk you through your options and find the right plan for your needs and your budget. Give us a call at 1-888-665-9200, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST.
Published: June 25, 2020